Thank you for your interest in being part of the Purnell community. Our mission is to foster a learning environment where girls are empowered to discover and develop their own unique potential and have the ability to receive academic support specifically tailored to their needs. You’ll discover a community that is extremely dedicated to that mission!
The Communications Manager will report to the Head of School and work to develop and execute a communications strategy that raises Purnell’s visibility among internal and external audiences. This position will build awareness of what makes the Purnell School experience special, as well as establish the Head of School and faculty members as experts in the education field. By working collaboratively with administration and faculty across School departments, this position will make recommendations for best-practices and branding guidelines.
- Develop and implement effective communication strategies that build awareness and brand loyalty.
- Work with the Head of School, faculty, board and outside agencies to generate new strategies and creative ideas.
- Create campaigns for news programs, partnerships and events.
- Manage the reputation of the School and its leadership.
- Oversee all forms of communication across media channels, including writing and editing of materials, such as press releases, speeches, articles and correspondence from leadership.
- Cultivate relationships with relevant media, professional associations and community partners.
- Respond to communication-related issues in a timely manner.
- Present strategy and progress to the board of directors.
- Track metrics and provide regular activity reports.
- Knowledge and understanding of brand management principles and how they apply to private, independent schools.
- Excellent oral/written communication skills.
- Track record of media relations successes.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, such as public relations, communications, journalism, marketing or English and 5-10 years of experience; K-12 education experience preferred.
Salary is commensurate with experience. To apply, please email a cover letter, writing samples and resume to Anne M. Glass, Ed.M., Head of School, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Digital Communications Coordinator
The Digital Communications Coordinator will report to the Director of Advancement and work to execute a comprehensive digital communications strategy that promotes Purnell’s priorities and drives awareness. This position will clearly communicate School events, fundraising campaigns, and admissions initiatives to internal and external audiences on social media channels and in print publications. This position is also responsible for updating Purnell’s website and creating and executing a strategic digital communications plan that includes both organic and paid content.
- Leverage multiple communication platforms to deliver content (e.g., social media, websites, blog, print publications, e-newsletters, video etc.).
- Attend and photograph School events throughout the year.
- Create, schedule and publish posts for multiple social media platforms and engage with followers on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube. Manage content pipeline.
- Draft, edit and proofread and communications materials and video content. Edit photos for social media.
- Develop and implement plans for showcasing video and photo on social and web platforms.
- Follow news and trends in education at the national and local level, and find opportunities to integrate into School’s pages, working in collaboration with Communications Manager.
- Track metrics and provide regular activity reports.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment and delivering high-quality content on a daily basis.
- Independent thinker and team player.
- Able to write clear, clean, concise and engaging copy and with attention to detail.
- Experience with content management systems, social media scheduling platforms, social media channel admin tools and Google Analytics.
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field and/or 2+ years related experience. Nonprofit, education experience a plus.
Salary is commensurate with experience. To apply, please email a cover letter, work samples and resume to: Jen Gursky, Director of Advancement, at email@example.com.
Purnell School seeks candidates for the position of STEM Teacher. This is a full-time, long-term position beginning in mid-August, 2020. Candidates should be committed to being a part of a nurturing community of educators who strive to create an enriching, dynamic, supportive, and multisensory learning environment for bright girls who learn differently. The ideal candidate will be well-rounded and flexible in the STEM field.
Founded in 1963, Purnell enjoys a long history of progressive, college preparatory education for girls who learn differently. Purnell is distinguished by our Learning & Wellness approach to all academic and student life experiences, our student-centered teaching and learning, and our warm and caring community.
- Provide effective and supportive instruction for students with diverse learning profiles, including language-based learning disabilities and ADHD.
- Teach courses such as Algebra I and Algebra II, Introductory & Advanced Coding, and Chemistry
- Developing an engaging, inquiry-based curriculum with the assistance of the department chair
- Maintain accurate and complete records
- Attend selective professional development conferences/seminars to further enhance professional knowledge
- Provide support to several students as their Advisor, the main communicative link between students and their families.
- Work collaboratively with faculty and administrators.
- Demonstrate a sincere interest in teaching and learning and a positive growth mindset.
- Bachelor's degree in a math or science discipline (Master's preferred, Special Education preferred)
- Experience teaching students with learning differences preferred
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team setting
- Experience with technology integration
- Experience with differentiated instruction
- A passion for innovative instruction techniques and commitment to Purnell’s learning and wellness approach to education
Please submit letter of interest, c.v., and three contacts to serve as references to Bryanna Gallagher, STEM Department Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director of Admissions and Enrollment
Purnell School seeks a Director of Admissions and Enrollment with an entrepreneurial approach
and the creative spirit to drive enrollment and spearhead outreach initiatives. The Director of
Admissions and Enrollment reports directly to the Head of School and works with the CFO and
Advancement Office. The Director is a member of the School’s Leadership Team.
Key Responsibilities: Leadership and Management
- Recruit, develop and implement strategies to retain high-quality applicants to our school
- Design and implement new short- and long-term strategies and enrollment initiatives to widen our admissions funnel and increase enrollment
- Track, evaluate, and report recruitment and enrollment data for external and internal purposes
- Build a strong and extensive network of relationships with schools, families, educational consultants, and the community writ large.
- Work with senior leadership, faculty, Board and other school constituencies to develop and articulate admissions priorities and philosophy
- Provide regular reports and planning documents to Head of School and the Board on the results of admissions activity
- Work in close coordination with the Business Office to prepare and manage the departmental budget, monitoring all expenditures to assure compliance with the policies of school, including financial aid awards
- Create annual retention plan; oversee/assist with re-enrollment process
- Work with Advancement Office to promote awareness of Purnell, communications with alumnae community; meet with donors interested in supporting tuition assistance program
Recruitment/Admissions/Financial Aid Activities
- Serve as the primary contact for admissions
- Represent the school at key conferences throughout the year
- Establish relationships with other schools
- Plan and manage Open Houses, and other events in the admissions cycle
- Select, train, and support student ambassadors
- Build relationships with parents for admissions outreach
- Work with Communications Coordinator to manage our website admissions portal and admissions-related social media, community events, flyers, etc.
- Communicate regularly, warmly, and clearly with families throughout the inquiry, admissions, financial aid, and enrollment processes
- Review and read applications; interview prospective students; respond to applicant inquiries; and counsels’ prospective students and their families regarding the admissions process, school programs, etc.
- Assist in the evaluation and decision process of the Admissions Committee for establishing admissions standards and for evaluating and making final admit/deny decisions
- Work with the Enrollment Coordinator to review financial aid applications to determine family’s ability to pay and eligibility for school funds
Key qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- At least 3 years experience in independent school admissions and/or communications and marketing, preferably in the non-profit sector and including prior leadership experience
- Ability to articulate what makes our school’s education and community unique
- Experience with marketing strategy and experience in brand management
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills as well as a proven ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels.
- The ability to both lead and execute; detail and results oriented
- Outstanding judgment and maturity
- A high level of energy, creativity and flexibility
- Office technology skills, including data management and enrollment systems, preferably Blackbaud
- Creative, entrepreneurial, and collaborative
- Energized by a fast-paced professional environment
Please submit letter of interest, resume, and three contacts for references to Anne M. Glass,
Head of School, at email@example.com.
Full-time Director level position, full benefits. Compensation will be commensurate with
experience. On-campus housing available without charge.
Manager of Technology/Informational Services
Manager of Technology/Informational Services is responsibility for the development, implementation, operation, monitoring and evaluation of the Purnell School’s technology infrastructure and software applications. This position provides leadership in identifying hardware and software purchases for the Purnell School and works collaboratively with members of the community to improve their ability and efficiency of technology on campus.
- Purchasing of all technology related equipment, develop technology replacement cycle.
- Oversee the day-to-day functions of the school’s network, servers, printers, databases and other equipment.
- Manages and performs routine maintenance of all server equipment, including e-mail server, firewall, security systems and student information system (SIS).
- Works with department heads to design professional development opportunities for all members of the community to maximize use and efficiency of the system.
- Works with end users to provide support of the school’s software applications. Applications include but not limited to; Blackbaud, Google, Windows and Mac environments.
- Evaluates hardware, software for potential use in instructional or administrative areas.
- School maintains a Windows and Mac environment for its employees. For students, it is a bring you own device school (BYOD).
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology or other related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in educational field preferred
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure
Physical and Work Environment:
- Frequently lift up to 35 lbs. of computer equipment.
- Crawl under or around furniture to install computer equipment
- Climb ladders and reach to install computer wiring and perform other tasks
- School is located on 85 acres with multiple building, so traveling amongst buildings is required. There are no elevators in any of the buildings, most are 3 levels or less, basement, main level and upper level.
- Work in standard office conditions and climate
Please send resume to HR@purnell.org